The Other Art Fair
What: 85 Artists
Where: Central Park, Sydney
Brief: Art Pharmacy Consulting's Emilya Colliver Directed the 2015 Sydney TOAF. The Other Art Fair is Australia and the UK's favourite fair to meet and buy direct from the best emerging and undiscovered artists, carefully selected by a committee of art industry experts.
The Other Art Fair announces artist list and venue for inaugural Sydney artist-led event
Sydney, Australia: The Other Art Fair, today announced more than 84 artists including two artist collectives participating in the inaugural Sydney edition of the United Kingdom’s largest artist-led fair, running from Thursday 10 September until Sunday 13 September 2015. Sydney’s first artist-led fair will be presented at aMBUSH Project Space at Central Park located within Chippendale’s burgeoning creative arts precinct.
The selected artists will showcase their work direct to the public at the Fair across four days, with mediums spanning installation, sculpture, mixed media, printmaking, painting, video works and photography. Participating artists were hand-picked by a selection committee of art experts including artist Mikala Dwyer, collector Dr Dick Quan, art advisor Virginia Wilson, curator Meg Robson and Paris Neilson.
“Sydney’s first edition of The Other Art Fair offers visitors the opportunity to buy directly from the best emerging and undiscovered artists from around Australia and beyond,” said Emilya Colliver, Sydney Fair Director of The Other Art Fair.
“The Other Art Fair provides a platform for new and experienced collectors alike to meet and engage with artists directly, ask questions and understand the artist’s story and creative process. It is an exciting chance to meet and invest in an artist who might just be the ‘next big thing’ in the arts world. We are offering the full spectrum - some of our artists are new ‘break-out’ artists whilst others are quite accomplished in their field,” added Colliver.
Highlight artists presenting work at The Other Art Fair include:
· Emerging Korean artist collective Reissue Korea creating sculptures and installation;
· Wollongong-based artist Sarika Gupta is currently training to be an obstetrician and explores women’s health issues through her photographic practice, drawing on her volunteer medical experiences in Myanmar, Papua New Guinea and India;
· Sydney-based artist collective called Black Parrot, which includes 2014 Sulman Prize winning artist Andrew Sullivan;
· 2015 Archibald finalist, American-born, Sydney-based painter Kim Leutwyler;
· Sydney-based Rachel Wells’ hyper-real digital photographic montages and Rachael McCallum’s ceramic and rope to create three dimensional paintings;
· Danielle Emery, presenting work under the name of TINNY, paints tiny dioramas onto the insides of antique tobacco, lozenge and ointment tins;
· British illustrator Sarah Beetson explores politics and perversities of popular culture through mixed media and collages on wood; and
· Artist Mairi Ward who is using crowd funding site Pozible to fund her booth at the Fair.
The VIP opening night of The Other Art Fair will be a not-to-be-missed event including DIY Noble Cut Gin Cocktails created by our Friend at Young Henrys. MINI Garage Sydney will create a live street art activation at the opening night with street artist Phibs spray painting directly onto a MINI Cooper car.
The Other Art Fair also presents an immersive program of music and performances including Radio 2SER airing live music onsite and Burns Antares & Volky performing live at the Fair. Free public workshops will be lead by the eco-friendly Derivan Stencil Art Studio with artist Chris Tam on how to use handmade stencils to create your own take home artwork, incorporating layering techniques for t-shirts, posters, stickers and large stretched canvases without using aerosols.
The Other Art Fair launches in Sydney following eight successful editions in the United Kingdom presented in London and Bristol over the past four years. It was established by Fair Director Ryan Stanier and in Sydney is led by Emilya Colliver, known also for her role as Founder and Director of Art Pharmacy. The Fair earned high praise from the media in the United Kingdom, where The Telegraph anointed the Fair as a ‘young, hipper artist-led alternative’ to Frieze Art Fair and TimeOut described the event as offering visitors the chance to ‘find the art stars of tomorrow’.
The Fair is presented during the same period as the international art fair Sydney Contemporary which will take over the entire Carriageworks precinct with more than 75 galleries from around the world from Thursday 10 until Sunday 13 September 2015. Visitors are encouraged to visit both Fairs to experience the full spectrum of artist endeavours, from the emerging and undiscovered through to the well-known international names.
The Other Art Fair is supported by major sponsors the City of Sydney and MINI Garage Sydney along with beverage partner Young Henrys.